Saturday, June 5, 2010

Radical...

Not too long ago Katie, from kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com recommened a sermon series. So
lately, Blake and I have been spending Wednesday evenings listening to David Platt, from Alabama, preach a series of sermons. This is a series he preached from 2008 and it's on living radically for God. The sermons have been great and really have made me think things thru. Almost to the point of questioning every little purchase and weighing everything out. So anyway yesterday I was browsing in the local Christian Bookstore when a book caught me eye. I was excited because it is titled Radical and guess who the author is.... Yep, David Platt!! I was sooo excited! I have read the first couple of chapters and thus far I like it as much as the sermons. So I say all that to say, go out and buy the book, read it and allow God to change your way of thinking.


Now for what it has made me think about. I want opinon here from my Christian bloggy friends. As I have listened to these sermons and read my Bible and now reading the book I begin to question everything. Like, we don't need to eat out cause think of all the children that could be helped by saving that money. Or "we don't need to sign our daughter up for gymnastics cause we could use that money to spread the gospel." And another one is the stuff we have. We really don't have a lot of stuff and live a whole lot simpler than most of our friends. We don't buy our children toys and the only time they get stuff like that is for birthday and Christmas. However, with three kids we have accumulated a few toys. I feel like we have too much and should sell most of them and use that money to feed a starving child somewhere. Am I off my rocker? I don't mind being different and have people think I'm strange, but is this verging on being crazy?

I'm still praying for God's guidance and may soon be having a grand yardsale so watch for signs. LOL!!!

2 comments:

Mom Of Many said...

Sweet friend,

Link your post to Striving for Simplicity....just follow the steps at the bottom of my blog...

This is exactly the kind of posts I am talking about...

God is obviously convicting you...dump it, chuck it, sell it, give it...simplify your life...you will be so glad you did...

And yes, we Americans think that we have a "right" to eat out...because we work hard...forgive me, BUT we don't work harder than the rest of the world who are working EVERYDAY just cause to feed their family cause they have NO pantry or freezer full of food...

So even if you start by saying, we will only eat out "x" number of times a month...that's a start...then take the money saved and give it to those in need...sponsor a child....or help someone adopt one...

You will be so free!!! I'm proud of you for being challenged...and if you put up yard sale signs anywhere near me I would come and cheer for you....xo

Jenny said...

Hi,
My name is Jenny and I linked to your blog through Linny. I'm getting ready to write my contribution to the simplicity ideas also. I just listened to the first Radical sermon, also found through Katie, and am struggling with balance also. I could have written your post. I don't have any answers, just wanted you to know that lots of us struggle with balance!
Jenny
at www.ourplansmultiplied.blogspot.com