Thursday, December 29, 2011

A quick update...

Wow, have we had a lot going on. We have been working hard at the Rock to get it presentable. We've torn down walls and built walls. Today we have painted like crazy! It really is looking much better and hopefully before too long, the front part will be completely renovated.

Add to the mix, Christmas and that just about fills all the time. We had a great Christmas Eve at my mom's. We all got some really great gifts. My favorite so far was the Shark floor cleaner my mom gave me!! I do love it!!

Christmas Day was fun. The kids were up at 4:30, but we made them go back to bed until 7:30. Then we got up and opened presents. For us that means each child has a turn to open a present while everyone else watches. (When each child only has three it helps prolong the excitement and makes each gift special.) Every year our kids get an ornament. This year we also gave in their name to World Vision for a child to go to school for a year. So to help them remember, Blake got a book, Grace got a calendar, and Samuel got a workbook for school.

Then it was on to the big gifts... Blake got a new trumpet mouthpiece and case, Grace got a set of mixing bowls and monogrammed apron, and Samuel got a huge Lego helicopter and a set of people. Grace was totally excited for her bowls. We took time that morning to make muffins to take to church and that made her so proud.

Their best gift though was the one they got together. We bought the entire collection of Little House on the Prairie videos. Last year for Christmas Jim had bought me a set. It was season 8, but we really enjoyed watching it as a family. When we finished that I ordered season 1 and we were working on it. Then after Thanksgiving I saw that Wal-Mart had them on sale for $10 for each season. I was quick to snap up all the rest of the seasons!!! This has been our most anticipated time most evenings. We tell the kids that if they can get their stuff done and be showered and ready for bed by a certain time, we will watch an episode. This really speeds up the time it takes for them to prepare for bed. :)

So now as the year closes and I look forward to another, I reflect on this year. It has been a year of highs and lows. I pray God will continue to carry me thru.

No comments: